[rt-users] History of Custom Field Values kept anywhere?

Lander, Scott slander at hearstsc.com
Tue Sep 1 09:37:02 EDT 2009

Drew,

   You are correct. I am not (at this time) interested in the change of the value of a custom field within a ticket.    It is the name of the field, as changed from the configuration menu of the UI, that I am interested in tracking.    And, as you point out, there are history links for many similar fields.   This seems like a logical field to keep track of also.

   Or, perhaps, I am using the field incorrectly, so, maybe this should be a non-issue?

    My use is that I have some 80 sites, across a half dozen business units that a ticket might come from.   So, on ticket creation the user selects from a custom field (a drop down menu in the UI) his business unit, and then his location.   And, also, as a second CF, his application and problem.    Is this an unusual way of doing it?  Is there a better way?

     Anyways, someone changed the application menu by mistake.    We have recovered the contents from backup, so not a big deal as far as data is concerned.  But, the question is; shouldn't this data be tracked?   And, it appears that it is, partially.    Who changed it, and when is clearly recorded (for the last change, only).    Just not what they changed it from, or to.

     Anything relating to changing a ticket, or user, is tracked with the transaction table.    Either the changes in the internal (predefined) data could go there, also, or, into a separate table.   For most installations, I would think this data is relatively static - IE, we don't add new sites all that often - but, it does happen.   And, new applications are relatively common to us.

Thanks

Scott

I think the issue is a matter of understanding.  From reading his messages I get the impression that someone has, in the UI, changed the Name of the custom field.

I don't know where this information could be kept, although I am seeing a History link for Users which logs password changes and information changes.  Perhaps this could be extended for custom fields also?