[rt-users] Upgrade from 3.6.3 to 3.8.4 - image attachments missing/corrupt

Justin Hayes justin.hayes at orbisuk.com
Tue Sep 15 15:54:42 EDT 2009

Hi guys,

I'm just testing an upgrade from 3.6.3 to 3.8.4. I ran the rt-setup-
database fine:

/opt/rt_support.openbet.com/sbin/rt-setup-database -dba rt_support --
prompt-for-dba-password --action upgrade

Then created the schema upgrade script:

perl /opt/rt_support.openbet.com/etc/upgrade/upgrade-mysql-schema.pl
*blah* *blah* *password* > upgrade.sql
Use of uninitialized value in join or string at /opt/
rt_support.openbet.com/etc/upgrade/upgrade-mysql-schema.pl line 261.
.Tickets.status has type VARCHAR however mapping is missing.
Use of uninitialized value in join or string at /opt/
rt_support.openbet.com/etc/upgrade/upgrade-mysql-schema.pl line 261.
.Users.BlockImg has type CHAR however mapping is missing.
-- ** NOTICE: No database changes have been made. **
-- Please review the generated SQL, ensure you have a full backup of
your database
-- and apply it to your database using a command like:
-- mysql -u rt_support -p rt_support < queries.sql";

cat upgrade.sql
ALTER DATABASE rt_support DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8;
ALTER TABLE ACL
    DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8,
    MODIFY RightName VARBINARY(25) NOT NULL,
    MODIFY PrincipalType VARBINARY(25) NOT NULL,
    MODIFY ObjectType VARBINARY(25) NOT NULL;
ALTER TABLE ACL
    MODIFY RightName VARCHAR(25) CHARACTER SET ascii NOT NULL,
    MODIFY PrincipalType VARCHAR(25) CHARACTER SET ascii NOT NULL,
    MODIFY ObjectType VARCHAR(25) CHARACTER SET ascii NOT NULL;
ALTER TABLE Attachments
    DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8,
    MODIFY Subject VARBINARY(255) NULL DEFAULT NULL,
    MODIFY ContentType VARBINARY(80) NULL DEFAULT NULL,
    MODIFY Filename VARBINARY(255) NULL DEFAULT NULL,
    MODIFY Headers LONGBLOB NULL DEFAULT NULL,
    MODIFY MessageId VARBINARY(160) NULL DEFAULT NULL,
    MODIFY Content LONGBLOB NULL DEFAULT NULL,
    MODIFY ContentEncoding VARBINARY(80) NULL DEFAULT NULL;
ALTER TABLE Attachments
    MODIFY Subject VARCHAR(255) CHARACTER SET utf8 NULL DEFAULT NULL,
    MODIFY ContentType VARCHAR(80) CHARACTER SET ascii NULL DEFAULT
NULL,
    MODIFY Filename VARCHAR(255) CHARACTER SET utf8 NULL DEFAULT NULL,
    MODIFY Headers LONGTEXT CHARACTER SET utf8 NULL DEFAULT NULL,
    MODIFY MessageId VARCHAR(160) CHARACTER SET ascii NULL DEFAULT NULL,
    MODIFY ContentEncoding VARCHAR(80) CHARACTER SET ascii NULL
DEFAULT NULL;
.
.
.

Now that looks a bit odd as there are 2 ALTERS per table and the
second seems to reverse some bits of the first?

Anyway I ran that into my DB. Now when I go into a ticket with an
image attached and click on it no image is returned, which is a bit
worrying.

I'm wondering if it was a problem with the upgrade, or the original db
dump provided by my IT systems guys. Perhaps the DB wasn't dumped
using binary character set? How could I check that and how should the
IT guys have dumped the DB to make sure it was in binary?

Any thoughts?

Justin

Justin Hayes
Orbis Support Manager