[rt-users] Upgrade from 3.6.3 to 3.8.4 - image attachments missing/corrupt

Ruslan Zakirov ruslan.zakirov at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 22:31:14 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 11:54 PM, Justin Hayes <justin.hayes at orbisuk.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I'm just testing an upgrade from 3.6.3 to 3.8.4. I ran the rt-setup-database
> fine:
>
> /opt/rt_support.openbet.com/sbin/rt-setup-database -dba rt_support
> --prompt-for-dba-password --action upgrade
>
> Then created the schema upgrade script:

[snip]

> Now that looks a bit odd as there are 2 ALTERS per table and the second
> seems to reverse some bits of the first?

It's not reverse, but metadata change about tables without changing
the data. It's documented way to change character sets in mysql
without changing data.

> Anyway I ran that into my DB. Now when I go into a ticket with an image
> attached and click on it no image is returned, which is a bit worrying.
> I'm wondering if it was a problem with the upgrade, or the original db dump
> provided by my IT systems guys. Perhaps the DB wasn't dumped using binary

As you're pretty sure that you applied the schema change then it's
problem with backup and restore.

> character set? How could I check that and how should the IT guys have dumped
> the DB to make sure it was in binary?

mysqldump --opt --default-character-set=binary rt3olddb > backup.mysql.dump
mysql --default-character-set=binary rt38newdb < backup.mysql.dump

> Any thoughts?
> Justin
> Justin Hayes
> Orbis Support Manager