[rt-users] [Rt-announce] RT for Mobile Devices 0.9

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Fri Aug 6 13:38:43 EDT 2010

We've been playing with this today, and it's a very good start, thanks Jesse.  I know my colleague Dave has already sent you a patch.

My only criticisms of it so far are these:

1)  On Safari on my iOS4 iPhone, it often seems to get the width of the display wrong when showing search results.  Interestingly when setting Safari on my Mac to pretend to be Safari for iPhone, it doesn't make the same mistake.  This may of course be a bug in Safari on iOS4.

2)  In my opinion (and others in the office thought so too), there's a lot of wasted screen real-estate; some of the fonts are too large, and there is a lot of padding around stuff which spaces everything out too much and reduces the amount I can see on screen.  For example, the main home page has so much padding around each item that it doesn't all fit on my iPhone's screen.  The same goes for the pretty rounded corner eye candy too; it tends to force you to use even more padding around text to make it look decent.

I'm not really a CSS expert (that is to say, at all), but I've been messing about with this a bit today and have trimmed a lot of the whitespace out.  It's caused a couple of minor glitches, and I'm sure it isn't as pretty, but it's achieved my main aim, which is to increase the amount of real information I can read on the iPhone's screen without having to scroll.  I can send you the patch if you want, although I'm probably making heinous mistakes.  At the end of the day, RT for me is about getting at the information I need - while being pretty is nice, it's secondary to being able to see the required information.

Just my 2¢...

Regards,

Tim