[rt-users] Install on CentOS, best current instructions

Gary Greene ggreene at minervanetworks.com
Fri Aug 6 17:42:56 EDT 2010

On 8/6/10 11:40 AM, "Jerrad Pierce" <jpierce at cambridgeenergyalliance.org>
wrote:
>> Why non-system perl, Jerrad? I've never had a problem with it (that I know
>> of), but have I just been lucky?
>>
>> My only RPM-related problem is having to reinstall a current version of
>> Sys::Syslog after every yum update (anyone know why that happens?)
>
> Precisely. RedHat is bad at not clobbering newer versions of modules
> (RPM has the ability to run prep scripts, which could check to see that
> the version being replaced is not newer than the package to be installed).
>
> You encounter this, and on Centos 4 I encounter File::Temp occasionally
> being downgraded to an incompatible version.

This is why I normally build the needed Perl module RPMs to live in
site_perl instead of vendor_perl, and then epoch them to 1000000 so RH can't
clobber my changes. The problem overall is that CPAN doesn't tie into RPM.
Using only the prep scripts like that would break the RPM dependency chain
which isn't based off what's on the file system, but rather it's concept of
"capabilities" which are only defined in the RPM DB from the metadata
provided in RPM.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
IT Operations