[rt-users] Problem with character encodings after migration to new rt 3.8.8

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Thu Dec 16 10:50:41 EST 2010

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 03:37:47PM +0200, Kiriaki Konstantinidou wrote:
> This is the output in the new database
>
> CREATE TABLE `Attachments` (\n  `id` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,\n
> `TransactionId` int(11) NOT NULL,\n  `Parent` int(11) NOT NULL default
> '0',\n  `MessageId` varchar(160) character set ascii default NULL,\n
> `Subject` varchar(255) default NULL,\n  `Filename` varchar(255) default
> NULL,\n  `ContentType` varchar(80) character set ascii default NULL,\n
> `ContentEncoding` varchar(80) character set ascii default NULL,\n
> `Content` longblob,\n  `Headers` longtext,\n  `Creator` int(11) NOT NULL
> default '0',\n  `Created` datetime default NULL,\n  PRIMARY KEY  (`id`),\n
> KEY `Attachments2` (`TransactionId`),\n  KEY `Attachments3`
> (`Parent`,`TransactionId`)\n) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8
>
> For the old database, I used the backup (an export from phpMyAdmin)
> and did an import in the same server. Here is the output:

If you actually had a utf8 table in rt3.4, that is weird and really
not right.

What was the output of updgrade-mysql-schema.pl on the old database?

> CREATE TABLE `Attachments` (\n  `id` int(11) NOT NULL
> auto_increment,\n  `TransactionId` int(11) NOT NULL,\n  `Parent`
> int(11) NOT NULL default '0',\n  `MessageId` varchar(160) default
> NULL,\n  `Subject` varchar(255) default NULL,\n  `Filename`
> varchar(255) default NULL,\n  `ContentType` varchar(80) default
> NULL,\n  `ContentEncoding` varchar(80) default NULL,\n  `Content`
> longtext,\n  `Headers` longtext,\n  `Creator` int(11) NOT NULL
> default '0',\n  `Created` datetime default NULL,\n  PRIMARY KEY
> (`id`),\n  KEY `Attachments2` (`TransactionId`),\n  KEY
> `Attachments3` (`Parent`,`TransactionId`)\n) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT
> CHARSET=utf8
>
> Unfortunately with the upgrade, the new database was written over
> the old one (as adviced by the manual) so I don't really have the
> original database.

Nothing stops you from using a different database name, examples are
written using the rt3 database name for convenience.  The manual also
explains that having good backups before running the conversion is
important.

-kevin