[rt-users] ExternalAuth - loading fine but isn't authenticating to LDAP

Mike Johnson mike.johnson at nosm.ca
Mon Jul 26 14:19:14 EDT 2010

So,

After a few days of searching and testing, I've come to the conclusion that
RT simply isn't sending anything to our LDAP server to authenticate...

RT is still using RT's regular authentication method.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with my setup? RT doesn't complain when I
boot it up, yet ExternalAuth will not even attempt to authenticate to my
LDAP when I try to login.

I've used SoftTerra's LDAP browser to ensure the "service rt"(account name
is svc_rt) can bind to the LDAP and I even gave it update rights during
troubleshooting... this is also how I figured out that RT isn't binding,
only the LDAP browser connections are showing up in the Event log.

I've also verified that my RT box can hit the ldap port(by "telnet to
myad.mydomain.local 389")....

I'm lost on where to go next....

 Here are all the LDAP/ExternalAuth related settings in my config...
# LDAP SETTINGS
Set($ExternalAuthPriority,['NOSMLDAP']);
Set($ExternalInfoPriority,['NOSMLDAP']);
Set($ExternalServiceUSersSSLorTLS,0);
Set($AutoCreateNonExternalUsers,1);
Set($WebExternalAuto,1);
Set($AutoCreate,{Priviledged =>1});
Set($ExternalSettings,      {
                                'NOSMLDAP'       =>  {

'type'                      =>  'ldap',

'server'                    =>  '<ldapip>',

'user'                      =>  'cn=service rt,ou=Users,ou=Northern Ontario
School of Medicine,dc=nosm,dc=local',

'pass'                    =>  '<password>',

'base'                      =>  'dc=nosm,dc=local',

'filter'                    =>  '(&(objectCategory=User)
(ObjectClass=Person))',

'd_filter'                  =>
'(userAccountControl:1.2.840.113556.1.4.803:=2)',

'tls'                       =>  0,

'ssl_version'               =>  3,

'net_ldap_args'             => [    version =>  3   ],

'group'                     =>  'cn=Staff,ou=Groups,ou=Northern Ontario
School of Medicine,dc=nosm,dc=local',

'group_attr'                =>  'member',

'attr_match_list'           => [    'Name',

'EmailAddress'

],

'attr_map'                  =>  {   'Name' => 'sAMAccountName',

'EmailAddress' => 'mail',

'RealName' => 'cn',

'ExternalAuthId' => 'sAMAccountName'

}