[rt-users] Bounce loops when bounces include subject tag

Dominic Hargreaves dominic.hargreaves at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Mar 30 12:05:46 EDT 2010

Hi,

Our setup is such that mail gets sent out with an envelope from of the
address of our bounces queue (which is a completely non-response
queue that lets us process bounces sanely).

Recently, we encountered a situation where a bounce was received which
include the ticket subject (I think in nearly all cases, bounces don't
include the original message subject). Unfortunately, this caused a
mail loop since rather than going into the bounces queue as a new ticket,
the bounce was appended to the original ticket, and got sent out as
correspondence, which resulted in a new ticket...

I think the correct fix for this is to change the behaviour when
the ticket specified in the header does not match the queue specified
with --queue. It may be that this has to be configurable on a per-queue
basis, as it might have other undesirable side effects if tickets are
moved between queues between sets of correspondence.

Does this seem reasonable?

Has anyone else who is feeding bounces back into RT experienced this
problem? I'm somewhat surprised we've only just seen it, to be honest,
and only once.

--
Dominic Hargreaves, Systems Development and Support Team