[rt-users] Why I am recommending 3.6 over 3.8 to my boss

John Arends jarends at illinois.edu
Thu Nov 4 17:48:23 EDT 2010

Migration from 3.6 to 3.8 is a non-issue. It is easy, and not even worth
considering as a problem. It isn't any more difficult to move from 3.6
to 3.8 as it is to move from 3.6.x to 3.6.y.

We were stuck on the RPM issue for a while, but I stopped caring. I
don't trust the RPMs produced for 3.6 since they're not from Best
Practical and their quality is unknown.

The real issue is managing all the CPAN modules, not maintaining RT.

Usually updating RHEL's Perl breaks RT, but it is easy to fix if you
have a test system you perform all the upgrades on first.

There are too many features that we use in 3.8.x to make sticking to 3.6
make any sense.

--
John Arends
jarends at illinois.edu