[rt-users] Why I am recommending 3.6 over 3.8 to my boss

Vick Khera khera at kcilink.com
Fri Nov 5 08:11:28 EDT 2010

On Nov 5, 2010, at 5:26 AM, Robert Grasso wrote:

> This is my own opinion : as you increase your Unix/Linux/RedHat skills, you will feel less concerned by such issues.

As you increase the number of systems you need to manage, you will feel more concerned by such issues.

A good package manager to manage all of your software is essential to configuration management on a large scale.  We even go so far as to make internal packages of our own software to deploy to the servers -- nothing is manually done, except for the one-off office server which does the file/mail serving.

As you note later in your message, you have to manually go in and fix up things when you upgrade other parts of your system.  This is the job of your package manager.  It does not scale to do this by hand.