[rt-users] CanonicalizeUserInfo in Email.pm - "Name in use"

Garret W. Huntress ghuntress at ciw.edu
Fri Oct 8 13:11:13 EDT 2010

Gentlemen,

I've run into this same issue on our setup where we have users who have multiple e-mail addresses defined in ldap and like to use different ones at different times.

A workaround you can do is to setup a canonical rewrite in your MTA to rewrite the "From:" header from any non-primary e-mail address to a primary e-mail address for each of your users.  Not ideal, but works.  In postfix, it would be something like the following:

In main.cf:
	canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/canonical
	canonical_classes = envelope_sender, header_sender

Then in /etc/postfix/canonical
	# Do this for each user, you'll want to script it and periodically update maps
	secondary_user1 at domain		user1 at domain
	tertiary_user1 at domain			user1 at domain
	secondary_user2 at domain		user2 at domain
	tertiary_user2 at domain			user2 at domain

Note that this doesn't fix the inability to add secondary addresses into the RT e-mail field in the user interface when creating tickets or adding people.  This just works around the incoming mail part.

-Garret
> Lars Kristian Klykken wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > RT 3.8.1 with RT::Authen::ExternalAuth 0.05
> >

> 1. Upgrade to ExtrernalAuth 0.08. EA 0.05 is not supported for use on
> RT-3.8.
>
> 2. Multiple e-mail addresses for a user with the same username is not
> possible at the moment. Primarily because RT does not allow assigning
> multiple e-mail addresses to the same user.
>
> I will be working on functionality for EA 0.09 whereby it will lookup a
> user on reception of e-mail, determine if an account already exists with
> one of the available e-mail addresses in their LDAP service and if so
> log them in with that address, but it is not currently possible in 0.08.
> --
> Kind Regards,
>
> Mike Peachey, IT
> Tel: +44 114 281 2655
> Fax: +44 114 281 2951
> Jennic Ltd, Furnival Street, Sheffield, S1 4QT, UK
> Comp Reg No: 3191371 - Registered In England
> http://www.jennic.com

Garret W. Huntress
System Administrator / System Developer

Geophysical Laboratory