[rt-users] Mandatory Subject - EMail

Jason A. Smith smithj4 at bnl.gov
Wed Sep 8 11:19:35 EDT 2010

On 09/08/2010 10:48 AM, Kenneth Marshall wrote:

> In principle, an informative bounce is okay. Unfortunately, it can
> be taken advantage of by unscrupulous mailers to send SPAM messages
> to other E-mail addresses with the consequent impact to your mail
> reputation and ability to send E-mail from your domain to others.
> If you restrict such bounces to local authenticated E-mail, then
> you can minimize the risk through the use of accountability.
>
> Cheers,
> Ken

True, but if your RT is setup to accept email tickets from anywhere,
because there is no central directory of known email addresses and a
need for many people to be able to submit tickets, then it doesn't
matter since the "sender" (real or fake) will either get the no subject
bounce or the rt ticket created auto-reply.

Also, in our procmail, the no subject check is the last filter before
the queue check rules.  Before these are several other rules to filter
out spam, and emails from mailers, lists, daemons, etc...

~Jason