[rt-users] attachments sent via email suddenly have video/x-flv content type

Jon Tollerton jtollerton at zoominternet.net
Tue Sep 14 20:22:09 EDT 2010

  Suddenly some messages coming in via rt-mailgate are ending up with a
content type of video/x-flv even though the files that are involved are
.csv or .tiff files.
I unfortunately don't have access to the original messages any more and
email passes through several MTAs before fetchmail delivers to a
procmail rule that calls rt-mailgate, so there's lots of points where
this could be happening.  The strange thing is that so far it appears to
be spontaneous and nothing has changed in our environment.  It's
happened from two different sources as well, but not all mail is
triggering this.  Changing the ContentType of the problem entries in the
Attachments table corrected these messages, but I'm expecting for this
to continue to happen when new information comes in.
It doesn't look to me like rt-mailgate does anything with  the content
type that's passed in the original email other than pass it along to RT,
but my perl fluency leaves a lot to be desired.  At this point I'm just
trying to figure out where it makes sense to try to increase logging and
determine if this sounds at all familiar to anyone?

Thanks,
-Jon