[rt-users] user's rights on tickets

Kenneth Crocker kfcrocker at lbl.gov
Thu Sep 30 19:58:32 EDT 2010

Toni,

My answers are inline:

* I (think I) need custom permissions and custom roles. Eg. if an email
 comes in, I'd like to grant the requestor role based on the value of
 a custom field and the email, so one person out of a group can open
 a ticket, and anyone in the group can reply by email.
A: By granting the right "ModifyTicket" only to Owners *Globally,* and not
to anyone else (except maybe the AdminCc of a Queue), you automatically
restrict who can change the status of a Ticket. Further, if you write a scip
that has a condition based on the "From" or some Custom Field, you can
automatically set the owner to whomever should get that ticket for each
particular Queue.
We do this. We have a large Support Group and each member get assigned
ownership of all tickets that have a Custom Field Value for a particular CFO
Organization Code.

* I would like to restrict access to individual fields of a ticket in a
 way that peole with certain roles can only see and/or set a subset of
 values. Eg. I'd like to grant "resolve" and "reject" to Requestor,
 but not "re-open" or similar. Or, with CustomFields, I'd like to be
 able to allow Requestor to set a custom field to one, or several,
 values out of a subset of possible values, but only once (eg. to
 mark a ticket as relevant for an SLA), while disallowing him/her to
 change their mind later.
A: You can do the same type of thing with Ticket Status. Create a Custom
Field that only certain groups can See/Modify and a scrip that based on a
value change to that Custom Field, changes the Ticket Status. We also do
this. Works great.

* I do not yet understand how to select widgets for fields in RT. Eg.
 for a custom field which can take one of several values, I'd like to
 be able to choose a drop-down selection widget, or a set of radio
 buttons. So far, I get a multi-selection field, which is dead ugly.
 It also looks like I have to dive into the templates to re-arrange
 the widgets. Plus, RT imho seems to be quite wasteful of screen
 real estate (book?).
A: There is code available to override how a Custom Field is presented. We
use it to present "Select One Value" Custom Fields as a "Drop-Down" list
(see only one value but scan by pressing down arrow). This code should be in
the wiki, but if not, I can pass it along to you.

Hope this helps.

Kenn
LBNL