[rt-users] two side-by-side installations

Dominic Hargreaves dominic.hargreaves at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Aug 5 08:27:14 EDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 05, 2011 at 05:02:41AM -0700, Yan Seiner wrote:
> We're about to migrate RT to our own servers.  During the transition
> and testing phase, we want to run 2 side-by-side installations so we
> can work with 3.8.10 and 4.0.1 and see which one works for us
> better.
>
> What's the best way to do this?  Debian Stable will be the underlying OS.
>
> VM?  change paths in the config file?

Since you mention you'll be running Debian squeeze (stable), I'll
outline one possible approach which involves a single server.

request-tracker3.8 is the Debian package of RT 3.8. It is in squeeze.
request-tracker4 is the Debian package of RT4.0. It is in squeeze-backports.

You can install both of these side by side, and have both running
alongside each other, as long as you use the mod_fastcgi or mod_fcgi
mode, rather than the mod_perl mode.

[disclosure: I'm the Debian maintainer of those packages]

Cheers,
Dominic.

--
Dominic Hargreaves, Systems Development and Support Team