[rt-users] Questions about ColumnMap, Sorting & Excel

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Fri Aug 26 10:19:58 EDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 09:44:14PM +0000, Jennifer Koermer wrote:
>    When I click on the field to sort by the customized column, the tickets all disappear.  Is it
>    possible to sort tickets based on a custom ColumnMap (calculated from the ticket values)?  Is
>    it possible to create customized searches base on customized fields (calculated from the
>    ticket values)?  Is it possible to export these values to Excel?

I suspect RT is trying to do a DB sort, screwing up your sorting.  Do
you want to search on "Response Time" > 1h ?  Those both sound like
things that really want to be stored in Custom Fields if possible.
RT4 should export custom columnmaps to excel fine, since it parses
your Format for the search, rather than using a list of things to
export like RT3.8 does.

>    I know I could make this all work with Custom Fields, but I do not want to give our users the
>    ability to change this information....but that just seems a little messy.

Just don't grant ModifyCustomField on those custom fields and your
users won't be able to touch them.

-kevin