[rt-users] rt-users Digest, Vol 92, Issue 53

Ram Moskovitz ram0502 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 02:18:46 EST 2011

From: Bart <bart at pleh.info>
> To: rt-users <rt-users at lists.bestpractical.com>
> Subject: Re: [rt-users] The RT Wiki - Restructure (start using
>       categories?)
> Hi,
> Jay, thanks for your input. I do feel that approaching it with a blank
> sheet of paper will be the best approach.
> Though we'll have to use Wikia's abilities/structure, the below is aimed at
> just that with a slight eye on "structuring from scratch".
> *--- A rough sketch of the idea ---*

I like it at first glance.

> [...]
> scripts/contributions that have the categorie set to contributions would be
> automatically listed on that one page. (alphabetized)
> With that in mind you can quite easily create "general" categorie pages for
> all major topics and have any page regarding that topic being linked to
> that categorie.
> The front page would then contain a hierarchical structure with links to
> all the "sections" (a.k.a. categorie pages). And obviously information on
> what RT is, latest news/updates/etc. Another thing which you can easily add
> to the front page is an RSS feed of the Bestpractical blog, and maybe add a
> feed of the RT wiki itself showing the latest updates & newest pages.
> (should both be doable I think)
> Other things that might be nice to add are some Wikia features for the
> community to promote the usage of the RT wiki (achievements and other fun
> stuff).
> *--- The structure (concept) ---*
> Since the above shows what categories and categorie pages can do for you
> it's important to create a structure (at first on paper) which will make
> sure that all major topics regarding RT are covered so that any new article
> can add a categorie appropriate for that specific article. (I assume that
> the structure will eventually grow naturally)
> Since this is just a concept I've sort of just looked at the current wiki
> and tried to gather some basic topics, what I want to achieve with this
> concept is to get input from others so that we can improve it further:
>  - RT Basics
>     - User Manual
>     - Custom Fields
>     - Articles
>     - REST
>     - RT Tool
>     - RT Cron Tool
>  - RT Installation (rough categories so that people can link install
>  guides to an OS categorie, no more/no less)
>     - Linux
>     - FreeBSD
>     - Other
>     - Manual
>  - RT Config: (a categorie for each major release)
>     - RT 4
>     - RT 3.8
>     - RT 3.6
>  - Plugins:
>     - A categorie page for all plugins! This way you can link
>     scrips/configs/other goodies for a plugin to that specific categorie
> page.
>  - Scrips:
>     - Basically a summary of all scrips available for RT.
>  - Automation
> At this point I'm blank on ideas, I'll just leave it at this and see what
> better, but you have to start somewhere ^_~
> *--- Rough plan of action ---*
> This is a rather rough plan for setting up the structure:
>  - Remove all current categories (double check that the categorie pages
>  don't contain content of any kind).
>  - Add every single page currently in the wiki to a new categorie called

Might I suggest instead creating a page called "restructure todo list" and
put a list of all the current pages on that page... that way the current
structure and organization, to the extent it is useful or familiar, is
maintained and yet we have a todo list to work off of?

cheers,
ram