[rt-users] Upgrade path from 4.0.2 - 4.0.4

Ruslan Zakirov ruz at bestpractical.com
Wed Dec 14 06:41:12 EST 2011

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 02:50, Ram Moskovitz <ram0502 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Looking for a 'yep'.
>
> Looks like the upgrade path is going to be pretty painless - nothing in
> docs/UPGRADE* applies so my steps are:
> backup rt installation
> untar to tmp
> ./configure   #using the same options I used for my initial clean install of
> 4.0.2
> make testdeps
> make fixdeps
> repeat make testdeps and make fixdeps until make testdeps is happy
> compare generated /tmp/rt-4.0.4/etc/RT_Config with my live one
> Stop web-server
> backup DB
> make upgrade
> make upgrade-database #won't do anything but I'll run it anyway
> rm -fr /opt/rt4/var/mason_data/obj   #Clear mason cache
> compare etc/RT_SiteConfig with the one backed up at the start of this
> process
> Start web-server
> # Win!
>
> This largely what the README suggests.
>
> Does this sound right? Any gotchas I should look for? Steps I can skip?

Everything is right. In stable series:

* we don't bump required versions of dependencies unless there is a bug
* we don't bring new dependencies
* we try to avoid database schema changes

There is always a place for an exception, so it's not recommended to
skip steps. If it's a "normal" release then most steps would be very
fast.

--
Best regards, Ruslan.