[rt-users] Testing 4.0.0rc5 - experiences upgrading from 3.6.4 on RHEL6

Darren Nickerson darren at dazza.org
Thu Feb 24 12:08:47 EST 2011

On Feb 24, 2011, at 4:04 AM, Chia-liang Kao wrote:

> Darren,
>
> I am looking at the hung response issue.  for the Location error
> you are getting, please update the apache config to use <Location
> /> ... </Location> instead of <Directory /opt/rt4/share/html>.

Thanks for looking into this! Just to be clear, the documentation in docs/web_deployment.pod suggests the following for mod_perl 2.xx:

               <Directory "/opt/rt4/share/html">
                   Order allow,deny
                   Allow from all

                   SetHandler perl-script
                   PerlResponseHandler Plack::Handler::Apache2
                   PerlSetVar psgi_app /opt/rt4/sbin/rt-server
               </Directory>

In face my apache config is pretty much exactly as described in that section. You really want me to change Directory to Location?

If I do that, I see:

You haven't yet configured your webserver to run RT. You appear to have installed RT's web interface correctly, but haven't yet configured your web server to "run" the RT server which powers the web interface. The next step is to edit your webserver's configuration file to instruct it to use RT's mod_perl or FastCGI handler. If you need commercial support, please contact us at sales at bestpractical.com.

And my RT is down. Please clarify your instructions here.

> I've only been able to reproduce the hung issue when setting the
> apache to have only one worker, and when the response finally
> came out, i see the login page's "time to display" being
> something normal, like 0.09 secs, so that means the congestion
> happened in apache or the modperl glue somehow.

Interesting data point, thanks.

> In your case, does the page eventually came out rendered at all,
> like after 5min?

I will try to let it wait longer ... I think I have waited as long as 10 minutes in the past, but it's worth trying and reporting back to you.

> and can you see if it makes any difference if you change around line
> 222 of RT::Interface::Web::Handler from:
>
>  my $h = RT::Interface::Web::Handler::NewHandler(
>    'HTML::Mason::PSGIHandler::Streamy');
> to:
>
>  my $h = RT::Interface::Web::Handler::NewHandler(
>    'HTML::Mason::PSGIHandler');

I will try this next time we see a lockup. Oddly, we did not have one at all yesterday (during heavy use) or last night (when RT was mostly idle). Perhaps the new version of Plack that Jesse had me install improved the situation after all?

-d