[rt-users] Backing up RT

Nick Kartsioukas change+lists.rt at nightwind.net
Tue Jan 4 17:43:42 EST 2011

On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 17:38 -0500, "Andy Graybeal"
<andy.graybeal at casanueva.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
> I need a recommendation for backing up RT.
>
> I am planning on using a cron job to run mysqldump to dump the db, then
> rsync the db and /etc/ conf files to a host that runs a backup job every
> night to tape.

We use mysqldump and logrotate to keep a week of DB dumps on the local
filesystem, we perform daily backups to a VTL and then tape, and we also
perform nightly SAN snapshots on the RT host's LUN (making sure to lock
the databases before the snapshot, and then unlocking after so the MySQL
DB files are in a consistent state during the snap).