[rt-users] Remove a post to the group?

Bill Cole rtusers-20090205 at billmail.scconsult.com
Sun Jan 9 14:20:57 EST 2011

Mark Jenks wrote, On 1/9/11 8:46 AM:
> I posted something out here, and now the link is showing up in Google
> search, and I want to get rid of it.
>
> Is there a way to completely remove a post?
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com/msg27228.html

No.

You could try to get mail-archive.com to pull their copy down, but they are
not the only site that offers a public archive of the RT-Users list. I
wouldn't expect most operators of list archives sites to kill messages
without very strong justifications that are not obvious in that message.
Beyond that, it isn't really possible to know all of the places where copies
of messages sent to a public mailing list may have been sent, and there is
no way to prevent someone with an archived copy from making it openly
accessible. Even if you got the half-dozen easily found copies removed now,
you would have the possibility of other copies appearing at any time.

> Electronic Privacy Notice. This e-mail, and any attachments, contains
> information that is, or may be, covered by electronic communications
> privacy laws, and is also confidential and proprietary in nature. If you
> are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you are legally
> prohibited from retaining, using, copying, distributing, or otherwise
> disclosing this information in any manner. Instead, please reply to the
> sender that you have received this communication in error, and then
> immediately delete it. Thank you in advance for your cooperation ­­

The fact that your lawyers have convinced you to tack that absurdity onto
every email you send does not give it force. When you send a piece of email
to a public mailing list, you effectively give up any realistic expectation
that you can control who may see that email.