[rt-users] RT::Authen::ExternalAuth and SSO via Apache authentication for RT4

Thomas Sibley trs at bestpractical.com
Mon Jul 18 08:34:38 EDT 2011

On 07/17/2011 07:27 PM, James Zuelow wrote:
> In testing I noticed that the debug log was complaining about there not
> being a user to authenticate.  Since I still had Apache performing NTLM
> authentication, I knew there was user information available via REMOTE_USER.
>
> Modifying RT::Authen::ExternalAuth's ExternalAuth.pm to take that information
> from Apache turned out to be a three line edit. (1)

The reason RT::Authen::ExternalAuth doesn't do this is because RT itself
has the ability to authenticate using the information in REMOTE_USER.
Look at the WebExternal settings in etc/RT_Config.pm.  It'll be much
more maintainable to use RT's built-in support rather than a hacked up
extension you have to patch every time you upgrade.

Cheers,
Thomas