[rt-users] 4.0.0: Upgrade database independently of installed code base?

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Mon Jun 6 10:33:04 EDT 2011

On Sun, Jun 05, 2011 at 08:54:16PM +1000, Alex Peters wrote:
> I am attempting to upgrade my RT instance from 3.8.7 to 4.0.0.
>
> My elected approach is to set up the 4.0.0 instance alongside
> the original 3.8.7 instance (i.e. two separate databases), and
> verify that the 4.0.0 instance works properly before retiring
> the 3.8.7 one.
>
> I have successfully set up the 4.0.0 code base as a "new
> installation" via "make install," set up a separate MySQL
> database for 4.0.0 and copied the 3.8.7 schema into it.
>
> I understand that I need to apply a series of sequential
> upgrades to the copied database in order to make it a 4.0.0
> schema and complete the 4.0.0 setup, but I can't see how this
> is done.
>
> The README document states in step 6b that "make upgrade" will
> provide the command necessary to upgrade the database.  This
> implies a need to overwrite an existing code base--which, in my
> case, is not happening.
>
> Given my use case--one which I hadn't imagined would be all
> that uncommon--what is the correct approach to getting the
> database updated to the correct schema?

make upgrade will actually cleanly install everything into /opt/rt4
for you and print out the line.  It is something like this:

/opt/rt4/sbin/rt-setup-database --action upgrade --dba YOURDBAUSERNAME

that last part is obviously site-specific.

Please also review docs/UPGRADING-3.8 and docs/UPGRADING-4.0 and
complete any relevant database upgrade steps listed there.

-kevin