[rt-users] JS minify broken (was: RE: RT4 slowness)

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Sun Jun 12 16:04:54 EDT 2011

> On Wed, Jun 01, 2011 at 04:19:44PM +0200, L B wrote:
> > I checked some pages and I have these 7 seconds on at least:
> > - Login page
> > - Search/Simple.html
> > - Search/Build.html
> > - Tools/MyDay.html
> > - Admin/Users

> This implies you're requishing JS on every page, which points to a
> misconfiguration.
>
> > > Please provide details about your installation such as your apache
> > > versions and configuration otherwise it's quite difficult to test.
> > > We've tried replicating in house, but haven't seen this in any of
> > > our test or production RT4 instances.
> >
> > Apache 2.2.15, first email of the thread has all the details.
>
> Your first email had differing paths in your preload and psgi_app lines,
> so
> I assumed it was a copy and paste error, so was hoping to get a clean
> full
> copy of your config.
>
> Other things that would be useful are your sanitized RT_SiteConfig or
> the
> System Configuration from the Admin UI.
>
> -kevin

Kevin, I'm also experiencing the same problem as reported here.  (And yes,
I just filed a new, duplicate bug about that, [rt3 #17673].)
I can provide direct access (including root access) to the pre-production
VM I'm working with, if that would help?
Just for kicks, I tried substituting "/bin/cat" for
"/usr/local/bin/jsmin", but after turning on a lot of debugging I just get
an error:

Log::Dispatch::__ANON__('Log::Dispatch=HASH(0x2aef1bb0fe40)', 'failed to
jsmin: /bin/cat: standard output: Bad file descriptor^J ') called at
/opt/rt4/sbin/../lib/RT/Squish/JS.pm line 99

With the same debug options on, I do _not_ get the same error when
invoking jsmin.  I _do_ get the UI breakage, however :-).

CentOS 5.6, CPAN packages from RPMForge where possible, CPAN otherwise
(only as required).
Rt-4.0.0 from tarball.
Jsmin as downloaded from Crockford's site today (compiled with stock gcc
on CentOS 5.6, no options).

I added another warning line to JS.pm to tell me if jsmin was being called
on each and every request, and it indeed is being called on every single
request.

Furthermore, if I examine the minified JS using Chrome's developer tools,
it's an empty file
(http://**.****.***/NoAuth/js/squished-d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e.js
= 0 bytes).

There is no such cached object on disk under /opt/rt4/var/, which I
suspect would be the problem.  My Apache (and consequently mod_perl)
process does have write permission to /opt/rt4/var/mason_data to
.../session_data.

Don't know what would be useful to try next...

-Adam Thompson
 athompso at athompso.net