[rt-users] limit ticket list display on requestor login

Kenneth Crocker kfcrocker at lbl.gov
Mon Jun 13 13:04:31 EDT 2011

Giuseppe,

Well, that's a descent sized list. Let's start with an understanding of
privileges; System-Wide, Roles, and User-defined groups.

1) ANY privilege you give to "System-Wide Everyone" doesn't need to be
granted again to ANYONE, ANYWHERE. Every user of the system *already has
that privilege*.
2) ANY privilege you give to "System-Wide Privileged" doesn't need to be
granted again to ANY OTHER ROLE or User-Defined GROUP, ANYWHERE. Every
"Privileged" user of the system *already has that privilege*.
3) ROLES can include "Unprivileged" as in Requestor or Cc's & AdminCc's AT
THE TICKET LEVEL! I believe A Queue Watcher must be a Privileged User
(anyone out there can correct me if I'm wrong on this. I've always assumed
it to be so). I believe the Owner Role must also be privileged as it usually
involves privileges that should ONLY be granted to a "Privileged" User. I
look at ROLES as being a "Psuedo-type" group, in that it deals with a
collection of users, but is more generis that a user-defined group.

ALL Privileges work hierarchily (is that a word?). What I mean to say is
that if a privilege is granted GLOBALLY, then that right does *NOT* need to
be granted again (for whatever group; System-wide or Role or User-defined
group) at any Queue level. EVER!

The reason I mention this is because I see so many people out there that
have difficult debugging their "Privilege" issues and I beleieve that is
because they have compounded their "rights" situation with so much
redundancy. If you grant a bunch of privileges all over the place, then you
automatically have more places to look and control in order to "SEE" what's
being allowed.

The best analogy I can come up with for that is "Pitching" in baseball. When
a pitcher needs to find out what's wrong with his pitch, he should *change
only 1 thing*. If he makes more than one adjust to his pitch and the ball
goes where he wants it too, he won't know which adjustment made it work.
He's complicated his "debugging" by including "too many variables". That's
why I advocate keeping the administration of rights to a simple level. In
other words, "Less is better".

Now, Let's try to understand just what some of these rights do. It hard to
know what to let someone have as a right if you don't understand the depth
and relationships of these rights. That's why I sent you that guide.

"CreateTicket" - This right has NOTHING to do with seeing it, modifying it,
etc. It just means that RT will let someone "CREATE" it. That's it. However,
because you might want to know who created it as well as who wants the work
done, RT keeps track of the "creator" AND the "Requestor". They are not
always the same. I could easily grant "CreateTicket" to everyone and if I
didn't grant "ShowTicket" to anyone, no one would see it except the user
with "SuperUser" rights.
"SeeQueue" - This means you can see a Queue (all if granted Globally) in the
"Drop-down" list of Queues when wanting to create/look at a ticket. If I
grant "SeeQueue" and do not grant "CreateTicket" you will see there are xx
numbers of ticket in a Queue but not be able to create a ticket there.
"ShowTicket" - Unless I grant this along with the two above, you may be able
to see a Queue, a list of tickets in that Queue, but not see the details of
a particular ticket.
"ShowTicketComments" is additional. If you *cannot* "See" a ticket, then you
shouldn't be able to see the comments in a ticket. However, If I grant you
"ShowTicket" but NOT "ShowTicketComments", then you will see some
information, just not the comments. Does that make any sense? BP wanted to
allow us to "compartmentalize" some ticket data from general ticket info.

In your situation, you want the Requestors to just see "their own" tickets.
Because a "Requestor" can be a "privileged" (I call these people "inside the
system" users) or "unprivileged" (I call these people "outside the system"
users. Someone who NEVER signs into RT, may not even be an employee, etc.)
BP created this role just for that reason. Therefore, you can grant rights
to this role without having to worry about whether the user is privileged or
not. It's a "psuedo" group of users. NOT a "System-wide" user. That's why BP
created roles as an entity that can have privileges without the requirement
of being "privileged" and in a group (this is the group of users that are an
"exception" to the general rule of *only "privileged" users can be in a
group and have rights granted to them*).

Sooooo, grant the right "ShowTicket" to the "Requestor" role "Globally".
Now, if you want this type of right for Requestors ONLY (no one else needs
that right) for just a Queue, then we DO NOT grant that right Globally, but
break it down to "who needs what & where". If someone *other* than the
Requestor needs to see these tickets, let's get them defined. Is this group
so general that they are ALL "Privileged" users? Can they be defined as
needing this right Globally? Just 1 or a few Queues out of many Queues?
Here's where my rule of not giving away these rights redundantly can come in
handy.

Take a look at the examples I put in the guide I sent you (they are at the
back) and see if they make any sense to you. My installation is for software
support, so I keep some rights more exclusive to the Queue (each application
has a Queue) level. Then send me a list of what you think you should do  for
your situation and I'll respond.

Kenn
LBNL