[rt-users] RT4.0.1 post-upgrade rt-server.fcgi won't start

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Thu Jun 23 18:21:42 EDT 2011

> Turning LogToFile or LogToSyslog to debug is the right knob.  That
> they're
> not getting anything written to them implies that the configuration file
> is
> failing to be read.  Are the permissions on /opt/rt4/etc/RT_Config.pm
> and /opt/rt4/etc/RT_SiteConfig.pm what you expect?  Are the
> permission on /opt/rt4/var/mason_data correct?

Good guess!  (I know it's not a *guess*, you know what I mean...)

The problem was that ./configure had guessed my webserver userid as
"apache", when it's now "lighttpd" instead.  So when I did "make upgrade",
one of the commands that was executed was "chgrp -R apache /opt/rt4/etc".
I forgot I had manually changed ownerships after switching from apache to
lighttpd.

Easy fix:  "chown -R --from=:apache :lighttpd /opt/"

Thanks for the pointers, seems to be working OK now.

-Adam Thompson
 athompso at athompso.net
 (204) 291-7950 - direct
 (204) 489-6515 - fax