[rt-users] migrating from MySQL to Postgres?

Dario Landazuri dario at astro.as.utexas.edu
Tue Jun 28 19:38:02 EDT 2011

James,

> Dario, I apologize for being slightly off-topic, but your original
> request stated you wanted to migrate from mysql to postgres to better
> utilize full text search.  I'm sure this has been discussed in other
> threads, but is their an inherent limitation in mysql that prevents this
> (ie, you need a lot more memory, faster disk access, etc, using mysql
> vs. postgres) function from working efficiently (or at all)?

No apologies necessary.

I made this decision based on Best Practical's assertions in
full_text_indexing.pod (in the install tarball) that full text indexing
is not supported natively in MySQL, that I'd have to install an external
package to get it, and that I'd likely have to recompile MySQL from
source to properly integrate MySQL with the external indexing engine.

Whereas PostgreSQL supports full text indexing natively, and I can get
(maintained) packages for it straight from postgres.org.

(Side note: I've changed from digest subscription to full for the time
being - no need to cc me on messages anymore)

Cheers,
Dario

Dario Landazuri                    dario at astro.as.utexas.edu
Systems Analyst                               (512) 471-3334
McDonald Observatory