[rt-users] easiest way to not generate emails on a per-ticket basis?

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Wed Jun 29 14:27:21 EDT 2011

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 11:20:17AM -0500, Adam Thompson wrote:
>    In one application, I have a helpdesk that will be entering tickets on behalf of users who
>    call in; those users will not have direct access to RT.  I would like the helpdesk to enter
>    the tickets with the user's actual email address as the Requestor, both for ease of tracking
>    (otherwise "support@" is going to own a LOT of tickets) and to ease the transition later when
>    we do give the end-users direct access.
>
>    However, in the meantime, I want to be able to easily control whether an email gets sent out
>    or not.  I don't want to disable emails globally, since we already use RT's email capabilities
>    for internal clients.
>
>    I can handle setting up special "outside" queues that don't send email, if that's the easiest
>    way.  What I think would be ideal would be a checkbox on the Create Ticket screen called
>    "disable email for this ticket" with a default that I can set per queue, but obviously that
>    feature doesn't exist right now.  In its absence, I'm looking for suggestions on how best to
>    do this.

You can do this with a Custom Field that you tweak the notify scrips
to care about.  I believe there have been multiple examples posted to
the mailing lists about that.

However, you don't specify if you're looking to not notify requestors
on create, ever.  And the same question for queue watchers.

-kevin