[rt-users] Email Subject Header creating fragmented strings when decoded

Lars Reimann l.reimann at metaways.de
Fri Mar 18 10:14:17 EDT 2011

Hi all,

the following problem is very annoying:

RT Encodes Subject lines using the following concept:

Original example Header

Subject: =?UTF-8?B?W3NlcnZpY2UubWV0YXdheXMubmV0ICM2NzAyOF0gU3BlaWNoZXJwbGF0eiBF?=
  =?UTF-8?B?cmjDtmh1bmcgd2FzbWFpbjogNTAwIEdC?=

The header is split into 2 parts:

1st part decoded: "[Queue Name #Ticket nubmer] First part of subject line"
2nd part decoded: "Second part of subject line"

Completely decoded string: "[Queue Name #Ticket nubmer] First part of
subject line"_"Second part of subject line"

The underscore (_) marks an additional space character which is
introduced into ALL emails on decoding the two UTF parts.

I double checked with decoding UTF in python. Results: When using 2 UTF
parts, a decode introduces an additional space. When using only ONE
UTF-string (the above subject w/o padding and UTF header) the decode is
done correctly!

If would be very glad the resolve this problem. If RT could use only one
UTF string, the problem would go away.
How can we do that?
And: does anyone have the same problem with email clients (we use
evolution and thunderbird, but most likely other clients are also affected).

p.s. It's unclear to me when UTF encoding is used. Sometimes the Subject
line is not UTF encoded and uses ASCII. Perhaps it depends on non-ASCII
characters within the subject.

greetings,
l.r.