[rt-users] RT 3.8.9 -> 4.0.0 upgrade

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Sun May 1 10:18:29 EDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 01:36:15PM -0700, Ross Lawrie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having some problems getting my installation upgraded to 4.0.0.
>
> The 'configure' and 'make upgrade' both seem to run fine, no issues.
> I've set it to build in a new folder from 3.8.9 - the previous version
> is in /usr/share/rt3, and the new one is to be in /usr/share/rt4.
>
> The database upgrade appears to go well apart from some noise about RTFM
> which I think is okay?:

We should have that one fixed in 4.0.1, though I think you're ok there.
> I've adjusted my Apache configuration to use the new folder, and the
> rt-server.fcgi:

There's a lot of ...extra stuff in your apache config. Can you try with the default config in docs/web_deployment.pod

> I've copied (and where necessary adjusted) the RT_SiteConfig.pm from the
> 3.8.9 installation to the 4.0.0 installation. I'm uncertain from the
> documentation as to whether /usr/share/rt4/sbin/rt-server needs to be
> started or not? I've tried both with it started and without.

Which docs suggest you need to run rt-server by hand if you're using
the fastcgi handler?  I'd like to get them clarified.  You should not
need to do that.

> When I start Apache and try to visit the site, the page just sits and
> tries to load, but nothing ever does load. Within the logs I don't see
> anything - no entries in either the customlog or the errorlog.

So you're not seeing anything in the access log at all? That sort of
suggests that the problem isn't on the RT side.

> --with-db-rt-pass=XXXXXXXXX

For next time, I'd recommend not sending your database password to the list ;)

Anyway, Give the "simpler" apache configuration a shot and we'll see how things go from there.

Best,
Jesse