[rt-users] Generating tickets by redirecting mail

Bart bart at pleh.info
Tue Nov 29 03:31:01 EST 2011

Hi,

Welcome to the list :)

In general, an unprivileged user needs "create" rights on the incoming
queue (the one where RT mail is send to).
This is the best way to have e-mail from non users to be received/created
by RT.

After that your regular users are then required to send e-mail to your RT
address and it should all be good.

However, there are moments where e-mail gets send to a personal e-mail
address where it should have gone into RT (or something like that). In
those cases the best way that we've found is to redirect the specific
e-mail to RT's e-mail address. That way RT will receive the mail as if it
was initially meant for RT and the original requestor gets an AutoReply
with his/her ticket number.

This redirect feature is something most e-mail clients support, for
ThunderBird you need this plugin (
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/mail-redirect/ ). With
Apple's mail client it's a button which you can add to your interface
(feature is build in, you can see it in the menu under Message -->
Redirect). And last but not least, for MS Outlook you'll have to use the
option "Resend e-mail/message" ( some more info:
http://email.about.com/od/outlooktips/qt/et_redirect.htm ).

Doing the redirect instead of a forward makes sure that the original e-mail
stays in tact, the requestor is set to the person initially sending the
e-mail, and the requestor will receive an AutoReply with his/her ticket
number for future reference.

For as far as I know this is the cleanest way of achieving this.

-- Bart

Op 29 november 2011 08:17 schreef Stefan Vollmar <vollmar at nf.mpg.de> het
volgende: