[rt-users] Ubuntu pkgs: passwd problem in rt-setup-fulltext-index

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Sat Oct 1 17:12:01 EDT 2011

> Using Ubuntu 11.10 beta, installed the request-tracker4 packages
> (Thank you, Dominic!).
> Apparently a whole bunch of magic happens behind the scenes during
> database setup thanks to Debian's dbconfig-common, which I utterly
> fail to understand at this time.
>
> After everything gets automagically configured, I wanted to add
> fulltext searching support to the database, and ran rt-setup-
> fulltext-index.  It detects I'm running postgres, asks me what
> table and which index type I want, and then promptly fails with
> this:
>
>       [Sat Oct  1 20:57:43 2011] [crit]: DBI
> connect('dbname=rtdb;host=localhost','postgres',...) failed:
> fe_sendauth:
> no password supplied at /usr/sbin/rt-setup-fulltext-index line 600
> (/usr/share/request-tracker4/lib/RT.pm:350)
>       DBI connect('dbname=rtdb;host=localhost','postgres',...)
> failed:
> fe_sendauth: no password supplied at /usr/sbin/rt-setup-fulltext-
> index line 600

[...]

Of course, I figured it out about 30 seconds after hitting 'send'.

The "rtuser" postgresql user has sufficient rights to alter the schema on
'rtdb'.
Therefore, /usr/sbin/rt-setup-fulltext-index can be run with "--dba
rtuser" and "--dba-password XXXX" options, where the password is whatever
you either A) selected during the initial debconf run, or b) whatever's
now contained in /etc/request-tracker4/RT_SiteConfig.d/51-dbconfig-common.

-Adam Thompson
 athompso at athompso.net