[rt-users] Searching for, and displaying, gecos field - how?

John Line jml4 at info.cam.ac.uk
Fri Oct 7 12:29:46 EDT 2011

While migrating our existing RT customisation from V3.6.5 to
(currently) V4.0.1 and adding some enhancements, I've encountered a
problem: I need to be able to search for, and display, the gecos values
from user entries (primarily for ticket owners and requestors), which in
existing customisation will hold our centrally allocated username for the
user, if one exists and can be matched to the user. [The RT username may
(but won't always) contain it, so I can't just use the username.]

Since it wasn't offered by the search builder menus, I tried using the

     Requestor.EmailAddress LIKE 'jml4 at hermes.cam.ac.uk'

created via the menus into e.g. Owner.Gecos LIKE 'jml4'. That failed
initially, until I noticed entries in the log reporting "Invalid watcher
subfield: 'Gecos' at /opt/rt4/sbin/../lib/RT/Tickets.pm line 905.". That
prompted me to add gecos to the definition of FIELD_METADATA in a local
copy of Tickets.pm.

That allowed the ".gecos" to be passed through to the search and it found
a plausible-looking set of results, but I couldn't find any way to get the
gecos value included in the search results. I found mailing list
discussions suggesting that I needed to create
local/html/Elements/RT__Ticket/ColumnMap, based on the original RT
versions but with some definitions added (based on existing entries).
However, that didn't solve the problem. I also found the %FIELD_METADATA
definition in Tickets.pm which looked like it may be relevant, but not
making what seemed like the obvious change there made no difference to the
results.

Any suggestions of where else I may need to make changes, or pointers to
existing instructions, would be very helpful. I suspect I may be fairly
close to getting it working, but with one or more critical pieces of the
puzzle still missing.

 				John Line
--
John Line - web development, University of Cambridge Computing Service