[rt-users] External Auth overrides user preferences

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Tue Sep 6 10:29:01 EDT 2011

On Sun, Sep 04, 2011 at 10:23:52PM -0300, Aline Guedes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there a way to make ExternalAuth set a default email address to new users
> but not override existing users' preferences? I noticed that every time I
> log in as my existing user, it changes my email to what is defined in the
> LDAP server - I would like to make RT send mail to an account that is not
> defined in the LDAP server.

I assume you're using RT-Authen-ExternalAuth.  It syncs your data
against LDAP on any login or create.

RT-Extension-LDAPImport has a "don't override RT from LDAP" flag, so
you could create/import your users from that if you want and just use
RT-Authen-ExternalAuth for the auth side of things.

> Also, is there a way to make RT recognize my RT account by both Name and
> EmailAddress? I have recently migrated from rt 3.4.4 and rt 4.0.2 and in the
> old version, I had one account with the name "alinegds at domain.com" and email
> address "alinegds at anotherdomain.com". When I opened a ticket or replied a
> ticket using my alinegds at anotherdomain account, it would still recognize my
> RT user account (alinegds at domain.com) and would not create a new one. This
> was actually very good because I wouldn't need several different entries in
> the database for the same user (and it would also allow me to view all
> tickets I opened using both email accounts from the same RT acct). Note that

Sounds like you want RT-Extension-MergeUsers

> I wasn't using the External Auth plugin in rt 3.4.4 (I used a custom script

The plugin didn't exist for 3.4 and doesn't support 3.4

> base on LDAPOverlay - http://requesttracker.wikia.com/wiki/LdapOverlay).
> Summing up, I would like to be able to have an RT account based on my LDAP
> user, but have the ability to use another email account to reply to/create
> tickets (the email account defined at my preferences page).

unfortunately, that overlay is badly out of date with any modern
version of RT.

-kevin