[rt-users] How to change footer note in RT Web pages.

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Wed Sep 7 15:58:25 EDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 07, 2011 at 12:13:07PM -0700, izzabdullah <izz.abdullah at us.michelin.com>  wrote:
> Jesse Vincent wrote:
> >
> > Please don't remove the product's copyright message.
>
> Isn't this, in essence, violating the GNU GPL which is also in the footer?
> I was able to directly edit the Footer file in this location on our
> installation:

Hi Izz,

You are correct that at a technical level, an unscrupulous user has the
capability to remove RT's copyright notice.  I politely asked the user
not to do so.

The Free Software Foundation does publish guidance about the GPL.
As far as I can tell, the FSF agree with you 100% -- They consider removing
the copyright notice from a product to be a license violation:

 http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0-faq.html#IWantCredit

Best,

Jesse Vincent
Best Practical