[rt-users] Custom Fields - Incorrect Order on 3.8.10

Charles Kugelman Charles.Kugelman at kaplan.com
Fri Sep 30 16:29:34 EDT 2011

Hello All,

We recently updated RT from 3.8.2 to 3.8.10 (planning to go to version 4
at a later date).

We've always had an issue (with 3.8.2) where the Custom Fields (under
Queue>Ticket Custom Fields) will work great for a while after they're
added to a queue but will start to malfunction on the queue after some
time (most notably after adding additional CFs to the queue). This
behavior seems to have carried over to 3.8.10 for our environment,
though I was hopeful it would not due to the CF ordering fix in 3.8.8.

The malfunction generally consists of three things:

1.       When trying to change the order of the CFs on a queue (using
the Up and Down links), RT will report that the CF was moved up or down.
The position of the "moved" custom field however will remain unchanged.

2.       When at the create tickets page for queue with the CFs applied,
the order of the CFs is exactly the same as in item 1, not as I
initially had them ordered. This is the most problematic part for users
due to the chaotic order of CFs on the create ticket screen.

3.       Once a queue is broken (i.e. the CFs have stopped responding to
my ordering requests using the Up/Down links), it seems to stay that way
(even if I remove all the CFs and re-add them).

There are quite a few customized pages/etc. in the /opt/rt3/local
directory (which were made using files from 3.8.2). This may be
contributing to the problem, but I'm not sure which (if any) of these
pages could be contributing to the issue.

We're running RT 3.8.10 using an Oracle database.

Any thoughts?

-CK