[rt-users] Invalid domain, status=bounced for email through ticket on RT 3.8.4

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Thu Aug 23 10:45:23 EDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 10:47:55AM +0000, Shane Duignan wrote:
>    I cannot send an email with attachment via a RT ticket. This is the error message in the logs:
>
>    Aug 23 09:26:42 MAIL-01 postfix/smtp[29806]: 9DD441D5362: to=<ABC at eon.ie>,
>    relay=mx.eon.ie[XX.XXX.XXX.XXX]:25, delay=0.91, delays=0.07/0/0.21/0.62, dsn=5.1.0,
>    status=bounced (host mx.eon.ie[XX.XXX.XXX.XXX] said: 550 5.1.0 q9Sg1j02P2zd5X8019SgxU invalid
>    domain (in reply to MAIL FROM command))
>
>    The destination mail server recognises the smtp request as coming from invalid domain however
>    I can send mail from my own account without using RT with no issues.
>    The requestors have the correct email address in the ticket.

Look at what your MTA is sending as the From address (not the From:
address).  My assumption is that your RT server has an invalid
hostname and it's talking to mx.eon.ie and saying "Hi, I have mail
from www-data at invalid.hostname" and being told to go away.

Sending attachments shouldn't affect this.
Also, mail from your account isn't a good test unless it's also sent
by a web process running under apache with identical mail configs to
RT.

-kevin