[rt-users] CustomField input must match formatting in edit

Brent Wiese bwiese at ElementPS.com
Mon Feb 6 17:46:13 EST 2012

I've noticed this in both IE and FireFox. I'm running 4.0.4.

When editing a ticket that has custom fields with validation (mandatory), some of them display the "Input must match..." under the CF name, not the entry.

For example (hopefully this will format right on the listserv), if I have a select 1 value dropdown, it will look like this:

CF Name                                              <<Dropdown box>>
<italics> Select one value
                                                                <red italics>Input must match [Mandatory]

In other types of fields, like a text area, it looks like this:

CF Name                                                              <<TextArea>>
<italics> Select one value                             <<TextArea Continued>>

<red italics>Input must match [Mandatory]

Actually, it looks like "select one value" is the only one that formats that way, which when I look at it, looks correct/clean. When it's shifted left, to me anyways, it implies the field below, not above, is mandatory.

I tried monkeying with the CSS to see if I could get it to place right, but it didn't. I'm not sure which is the intended way for it to format, but it'd be nice to either be able to change it, or at least have it consistent for all field types.

Maybe a different topic, but while debugging the formatting above, I noticed if I use a * in a custom field validation (ie: I want to allow the field to contain only digits or be empty, so I modified the regex from ^[\d.]+$ to ^[\d.]*$), the validation works, but it doesn't display the "Input must match..." text at all.

Thanks!
Brent