[rt-users] Abnormal number of groups

Haim Dimer haim at dimer.org
Tue Feb 7 10:17:20 EST 2012

Hello,

Check this out:

mysql> SELECT COUNT(id) FROM Groups;
+-----------+
| count(id) |
+-----------+
|      4674 |
+-----------+

I don't think this is normal behavior since, as the administrator, I have
not created this many groups (at least not intentionally). I may have an
idea as to where they come from, look at this:

mysql> SELECT COUNT(id) FROM Groups WHERE Domain = "RT::Ticket-Role";
+-----------+
| COUNT(id) |
+-----------+
|      4496 |
+-----------+

We currently have about 1,100 tickets in the database. Every time a ticket
is created, a scrip runs using a template that contains the following code:

--- CUT HERE
my $GroupName = ''Computer Support;

# instantiate a group object
my $addGroupObj = RT::Group->new($RT::SystemUser);
$addGroupObj->LoadUserDefinedGroup($GroupName);
return undef unless $addGroupObj;
my $addGroupMembersObj = $addGroupObj->UserMembersObj;

my $res = '';
# walk through members of group to do stuff
while ( my $userObj = $addGroupMembersObj->Next) {
--- CUT HERE

It seems that my $addGroupObj = RT::Group->new($RT::SystemUser) creates a
real group in the database. Can someone confirm?

I figuredit could be the case so after I'm done with that $addGroupObj, I
tried to clean things up by using

$addGroupObj->Delete();

Here is the error I got in the logs:

[Sun Jan 1 22:50:54 2012] [crit]: Deleting groups violates referential
integrity until we go through and fix this
(/usr/local/rt4/sbin/../lib/RT/Group.pm:627)

I do not believe it's healthy. I need to know if it's really my template
that is causing the issue and if so, how can I gather the email addresses
for each member of an existing group without creating a new one.

I use RT 4.0.4. Thank you for your help.

Haïm Dimermanas