[rt-users] 4.0.5 FastCGI nightmare

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Tue Feb 21 21:43:22 EST 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 08:49:23PM -0500, Jeff Blaine wrote:
> I've read docs/web_deployment.pod.  It includes an Apache
> snippet, doesn't mention suexec configuration like the wiki
> does, doesn't mention the suexec DocumentRoot restriction,
> etc...  Not a very useful document here so far.

It includes two working FastCGI configs (we're using one of them in
production). It doesn't document every possible way to deploy RT, just
several standard and tested solutions.

> Apache reports this:
>
> [Tue Feb 21 20:33:40 2012] [warn] FastCGI: server
> "/var/www/fcgi/rt-server.fcgi" has failed to remain running for 30
> seconds given 3 attempts, its restart interval has been backed off
> to 600 seconds
>
> And the browser just spins for a LONG time, then finally
> throws a 500 Internal Server Error.
>
> Testing shows this:
>
> [root at rtdev1 httpd]# sudo -u apache /var/www/fcgi/rt-server.fcgi --port 9999

Try running

sudo -u apache plackup --server FCGI /var/www/fcgi/rt-server.fcgi

rt-server.fcgi depends a lot on proper environment.  If you want to
run it outside of mod_fastcgi/mod_fcgid you'll need to do it more
explicitly.  I believe there's a bug open to untangle it.

-kevin