[rt-users] DB upgrade errors from 3.8.9 to 4.0.4

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Wed Jan 25 16:07:27 EST 2012

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 04:50:19PM -0400, Kim Pedersen wrote:
> On 2012-01-25 16:42, Kevin Falcone wrote:
> >Your error appears to be because your 3.8 install is being loaded
> >along with the 4.0 install:
> >>/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.1/RT/ACE_Overlay.pm line 650
> >>(/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.1/RT/ACE_Overlay.pm:553)
> >etc etc, others trimmed.
> >
> >ACE_Overlay.pm is a 3.8 file, it doesn't exist in 4.0
> >
> >You'll need to remove the RPM install, use another server, or use
> >another perl to install 4.0 on this system (this is one of the many
> >problems with installing RT into the standard system perl paths, which
> >is the technique used by the RPMs).
> >
> >Also, I wouldn't trust that any part of the upgrade ran properly,
> >since having 3.8 libraries loaded on top of the 4.0 libraries
> >guarantees some failures.
> >

> Thanks for that - I had hoped to be able to run both installations
> side by side on the same system, but what you say makes sense.
>
> I'll remove the RPM and re-install

yeahhh, sorry about that.  With two normal installs, you would be able
to do what you want.  The Debian packages can also be run in parallel,
but the RPMs dump RT into @INC which pollutes the box for any other RT
installs.

You could build your own recent perl into /opt/perl and use that to
install RT.

-kevin