[rt-users] Custom fields on transactions

Jaime Kikpole jkikpole at cairodurham.org
Thu Jun 14 07:50:35 EDT 2012

I've been using RT with various custom fields for years, but now its
time to re-model those custom fields a bit.  I thought that at least
one of them, namely "Work By" (which includes a list of which
technicians worked on the ticket), should get moved to the transaction
level (vs. applying to the ticket) so that it would be easier to make
data entries.

Currently, I have to search for all resolved tickets and then read
them and then apply the correct names.  This is cumbersome.  So my
hope is that al the techs could just tag their own name (and the names
of anyone who helped them) whenever they made a comment or reply on
the ticket.

So I started playing with a new custom field named "test" to see if
this would work.  It seems OK for entering data, but I haven't found a
way to search based on that custom field.

Did I miss something?  Are custom fields on transactions just not very
useful?  What kinds of goals should they be used to meet?

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jaime

--