[rt-users] ExternalAuth problem

Sandra Wittenbrock sandra at hpcrd.lbl.gov
Thu Mar 15 19:24:03 EDT 2012

Hello,

About 6 months ago, I set up External Auth to use the ExternalAuth, with
our ldap authentication server.  Recently, it stopped working.

I checked the syslog, and turned up the log level, but still did not get
any useful error messages.

Mar 15 13:12:15 hpcrdticket RT: FAILED LOGIN for sandra from
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (/usr/share/request-tracker3.8/lib/RT/Interface/Web.pm:457)

The same user was able to authenticate to the ldap service via another
application.

Using TCP dump on the RT server, I don't see any network traffic between
the RT server and the ldap server, when I try to use ldap
authentication.  So, it looks like RT isn't trying to communicate with
the LDAP server.  I am able to see pings between the machines using tcpdump.

Does anyone know how I can get some better log messages?  Or better yet,
have some good idea of where/why RT seems to not be enabling the
ExteralAuth?  As I mentioned, the config was working a couple weeks ago.

Between when it was working and now, I did install mergeuser, so my
users can use multiple email addresses to create tickets.  You think the
two could be interfering?  I double checked the settings in
RT_SiteConfig.pm.

Set( @Plugins, (qw(
RT::Authen::ExternalAuth
RT::Extension::LDAPImport