[rt-users] Buildind rt4 while logged in as an AD user

Thomas Sibley trs at bestpractical.com
Mon Mar 26 16:52:11 EDT 2012

On 03/23/2012 05:31 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> GETMOTIVATED\jay.ashworth at gmtpa-xen0:/appl/rt-4.0.5> cat ./build
> ./configure \
>   --prefix=/appl/rt405 \
>   --enable-graphviz \
>   --enable-gd \
>   --enable-ssl-mailgate \
>   --with-web-handler=modperl2 \
>   --with-db-type=mysql \
>   --with-db-dba=root \
>   --with-db-database=rt4_test \
>   --with-db-rt-user=rt_user \
>   --with-db-rt-pass=rt_pass \
>   --with-web-user=wwwrun \
>   --with-web-group=www \
>   --with-rt-group=rt \
>   --with-my-user-group

If you're setting up a development RT instance on your own machine,
--with-my-user-group makes sense.  If you're setting up on a production
box or a testing server for a production box, you shouldn't use
--with-my-user-group.  It especially doesn't make sense to specify
--with-my-user-group alongside --with-web-user, --with-web-group, and
--with-rt-group since --with-my-user-group overrides them.

> It's relatively clear to me that the build machinery does *not* contemplate
> usernames which contain spaces and backslashes, as winbind usernames and
> group names will -- and probably not ones which don't exist on the local
> machine, either.

This doesn't surprise me, as the parameters aren't quoted so the shell
eats backslashes.  If you remove the --with-my-user-group option from
your configure, you'll actually start using wwwrun, www, and rt as you
specify in the other configure options.

Thomas