[rt-users] Errors with exim Mail

Jennifer Koermer JKoermer at prg.com
Tue May 8 09:35:30 EDT 2012

We have a scrip that we have custom configured on a queue that creates AdminCC and CC.  We've disabled the global scrip for the queue using the following custom code (including this code because someone else might find it a very helpful way to disable global scrips on a queue by queue basis):
my @exceptionQueue = ('___Approvals');
my $transactionType = $self->TransactionObj->Type;
my $queue = $self->TicketObj->QueueObj->Name;
if ($transactionType eq 'Create') {
  return if grep { $queue eq ($_) } @exceptionQueue;
  return 1;
}
return;

This all appears to be working great, but sometimes we receive the following error:
[Tue May  8 12:24:41 2012] [crit]: <rt-3.8.4-29771-1336479881-1523.135333-149-0 at domain.com>:  Could not send mail with command `/usr/sbin/exim -oi -t`: program unexpectedly closed pipe at /usr/lib/rt/RT/Interface/Email.pm line 408, <GEN466> line 33.

I've done some testing, and I have created the same exact ticket in RT multiple times that should send out the same exact notifications.  Sometimes the notifications are sent and sometimes I get the error above.  Anyone have any ideas as to why this might work sometimes but not others?

We are using:
RT 3.8.4

The process that I am seeing this issue in is a little complex:

1)     Create a Master Work Ticket in a request queue.

2)     On creation, custom fields are checked and up to 5 different approval tickets are created based on the supplied information.  AdminCC and CC are sent out (using scrips & templates in the ___Approval queue) on creation of the approval ticket.

I'm working on implementing a number of changes on my production box.  All of my testing is currently on my dev box.  I'm not actually sending/receiving any emails at this point in time, only looking in the ticket history to see if the correct email was generated.  I'm not seeing the same issues on my production box.  Any ideas?

-Jennifer