[rt-users] msmtp setup woes (continued)

Scott Sjodin scott.sjodin at gmail.com
Sun May 13 10:21:48 EDT 2012

So I've got my msmtp setup (almost). It's running. I can telnet in to
smtp.mydomain.com 587 and 25 and send over the creds (but not with 465)
successfully. I can run openssl, with 465 I get the following:

openssl s_client -CApath
/etc/ssl/certs/Equifax_Secure_Certificate_Authority.cer -connect
smtp.mydomain.com:465

Verify return code: 20 (unable to get local issuer certificate)

When testing msmtp -a default username at domain.com I get the following
results (with port numbers corresponding to changes in the msmtprc file)

When I change up the port number to 587:

msmtp: TLS certificate verification failed: the certificate is not trusted
When I change up the port number to 25:
msmtp: TLS certificate verification failed: the certificate is not trusted
When I change up the port number to 465:
msmtp: network read error: Connection reset by peer.

My msmtprc file is listed below:

defaults
tls on
tls_starttls on
tls_trust_file /etc/ssl/certs/Equifax_Secure_Certificate_Authority.cer

#this was downloaded direct from GeoTrust's website -
#http://www.geotrust.com/resources/root-certificates/index.html

logfile /var/log/msmtp.log
account default
host smtp.mydomain.com
port 465

# have also tried 587 and 25 with results varying

auth on
user support at mydomain.com
password suparsekrat
from support at mydomain.com