[rt-users] Installing RT 4.0.5 on Ubuntu 10.04

Ruslan Zakirov ruz at bestpractical.com
Thu May 17 08:31:11 EDT 2012

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 1:05 PM, James Bensley <jwbensley at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi RT Users;
>
> I have RT 3.6.5 installed on an Ubuntu Server 8.04 box. It was
> installed via the package manager and 3.6.5 it the newest version
> available within the package manager. I would like to upgrade RT so
> moving to 4.0.5, the latest version, seems like the most optimal
> choice to me. I must keep all existing data though, otherwise it would
> be a pointless exercise for me.
>
> So my questions to you knowledgeable folks are as follows;
>
> Can 3.6.5 on Ubuntu 8.04 be updated to 4.0.5? I assume it would be
> best to set up a new instance of RT and I have an Ubuntu Server 10.04
> box to hand so I could install 4.0.5 there. Once done, can the data
> from 3.6.4 be migrated across so I can continue as normal?

Yes. It can. You install 4.0.x. Replace new empty DB with your old data. Perform
all upgrading steps following regular RT's documentation, but keep in mind
that paths and a few things are different from vanilla RT.

Dominic may have some comments. I'm not sure if .deb package preserve
etc/upgrade dir somewhere in the system.

> Also, I can't find any good reference on line to people running 4.0.5
> on Ubuntu Server 10.04 (and the Wiki is out dated), is anyone doing
> this? Did you compile from source? Looking at my package manager 3.8
> is the available version.

Yes. People run recent versions from packages on Ubuntu. It was discussed
a few days ago with references from maintainer of deb packages.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/rt/users/110028?search_string=ubuntu%204.0.5;#110028

--
Best regards, Ruslan.