[rt-users] RT 4 Upgrade Slow Performance

Darren Nickerson darren at dazza.org
Tue May 29 16:54:20 EDT 2012

On May 29, 2012, at 4:32 PM, Nathan Baker wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> We've upgraded from RT 3.8.8 with MySQL to RT 4.0.5 (debian package) with Postgresql, and are having some performance issues with the web interface.  I've searched the list archives and Google, and haven't been able to find the issue.  I'm hoping someone can help point me in the right direction.  Basically, the first time I visit any page (Home, Display, etc.) it takes 3-5 seconds to load, and sometimes 10-15 seconds.  If I keep clicking on other links as soon as the pages load, it's fast and loads pages in 0.2 - 0.3 seconds.  If I wait for about 15-30 seconds and then click a link again, it takes 3-5 seconds to load again.  Updating tickets seems to consistently take 3-5 seconds.

We're seeing similar performance regression after an upgrade from 4.0.0rc5 to 4.0.5. I just loaded a very short ticket for the first time, it took 16 seconds. I did a reload on the page, and it took less than 2 seconds. I also went to Tickets -> New Search, and it took a full 20 seconds to load. Subsequent reloads of that page were essentially immediate. Within 10 minutes of not using RT much, opening a few tickets etc but then letting it sit idle for 10 minutes, going back to Tickets->New Search once again took 20 seconds to load, and was fast on subsequent loads

Have I misconfigured or broken some cache mechanism?

Our support staff have complained of a variety of long hangs/pauses like this and I still haven't pinned it down enough much more than I outline above. Our setup is very vanilla, MySQL with very little customization of RT ... if there's instructions anywhere on how to figure out what's consuming all the time I'd be happy to dig into it and report back here. I've been meaning to try some of the other ways to invoke RT, we're using apache+FastCGI right now, but there just hasn't been time. Perhaps the next time I'm waiting for query builder to load ... ;-)

-d