[rt-users] RT 4.0.8 on Ubuntu 12.04 release config error help

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Tue Nov 6 11:21:17 EST 2012

On 6 Nov 2012, at 15:56, Dominic Hargreaves <dominic.hargreaves at it.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> I imagine the quickest way to proceed will be to first run
>
> apt-get install gcc
>
> as root.
>
> However I am a bit confused as to why gcc is being required, as I
> don't believe any native code is being compiled. Does autotools just
> assume that it will be needed at some point or is it left over from
> long ago when there were SUID wrappers?

Perhaps, but it's effectively required for when you come to the 'make fixdeps' stage, since you will almost certainly need a functional C compiler to build a lot of the perl modules that RT needs.  So even though none of RT itself is in C, some of the things the installation process does need a C compiler.

Tim