[rt-users] Change text in tickts using database

Mark Goodge mark at good-stuff.co.uk
Fri Oct 19 04:22:59 EDT 2012

On 19/10/2012 08:00, Juanjo wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> But i don´t see the email content, only see the headers.
>
> I´m looking to change the content of the messages.
>
> I see in the attachments tab, a column called content, but says (trough
> phpMyAdmin) Binary Not Edit!!

That's because (as I said in my previous reply), it's a LONGBLOB data
type as it can also contain images and other forms of attachments.
However, when the content is text (either text/plain or text/html) it's
perfectly possible to edit it. If you browse the Attachments table using
phpMyAdmin and select "Full texts" and "Show BLOB contents" in the
options, you will be able to view the contents of the Content column
without any problems. You can also see the contents of that field if you
view the table using MySQL on the command line.

You will, however, need to use a tool other than phpMyAdmin to edit it,
as phpMyAdmin won't allow direct editing of a binary column. There may
be other MySQL administration packages that will do it, although I'm not
able to recommend one as I'm only familiar with phpMyAdmin. Personally,
I would write my own interface to do it using the scripting language of
my choice.

However, if you're not familiar enough with MySQL in general to be able
to use it without phpMyAdmin (eg, via the command line or from a
scripted interface), then you are not yet experienced or knowledgeable
to be editing tickets in RT directly on the database. That sort of thing
requires a reasonably advanced level of MySQL ability, and if your only
exposure to MySQL is through an intermediary administration tool like
phpMyAdmin then you are not at that level.

Mark